Saturday, July 16, 2011

Thank Heaven for Little Girls...Rooms!





There has been lots of decorating around here.  I have many things to share, but I wanted to begin with McKinley's room.  It has been very fun decorating a room for a little girl.  There is still much I want to do, but little-by-little (budget and painting I am doing myself) I will get her all room(s) done.  Probably just in time for her to move out for the next one.  Opps! did I say that out loud?  No, I am not pregnant, just thinking about it =D

First thing to highlight is this trunk.  We obtained this from our neighborhood yard sale.

 Two problems with the trunk was the color and a broken hinge. But being it was wood, all we needed was a little paint! Thank goodness for white paint with primer already in it!!
 ta-da!!
 The broken hinge is not as easily fixable with my limited handy knowledge! But if one opens the trunk, that heavy wood is come barreling down!  I am sure it could shatter a knuckle.  I definitely want to fix it one day, but until then my solutions are not telling the kids it opens, two do not put anything exciting inside, and three make whats on top very fun. What to put inside is still a mystery; probably bedding and other things I don't use very often? Suggestions??

  As far as exciting on top, I am in the works of ordering a pale pink cushion to fit perfectly to create a reading bench under the window. Isn't that sweet?  I am also contemplating painting the side -for lack of better word- "in-dent" part of the bench a pale pink.  What do you think??

Next thing I love about this room are these frames I ordered from MandolinGoose on Etsy's.  I originally drew the inspiration from this post.


I got the hair bow holder from a local consignment shop, and didn't realize until later that the colors matched perfectly.  I think I am just drawn to those colors.

For inside of the frames I knew I want some sort of quote, perhaps, from a movie (I love the moon quote from "It's a Wonderful Life", and will prob have to use it for my room! since it didn't make the cut for Mc's room) or I wanted a Bible verse.  I wanted to definitely keep the purple oval empty, and was not sure about the other.

I stumbled upon this blog, with this verse I knew it was what I was going to use for my sweet McKinley!  It all came together after I got out my scrapbooking supplies, and went to creating!  The back drop in the frames for both the verse and the butterfly is scrapbooking paper.  It is currently my favorite paper, and I have been using it a lot.  You may recognize it from this post.

Next fun project in McKinley's room are these frames I got from the dollar store! I love the dollar store, always great finds.  Originally I thought they'd go in the guest bedroom, but I had to do some finagling, and realized with the ribbon they'd be perfect in McKinley's room!  The back of the frame had the stand up thingy, but nothing to hang with.  I ripped that piece off, and was left a little loop perfect for a ribbon. In my scrapbooking supplies I had these ribbons, perfect pre-cut, perfect colors for McKinley's room.  Since the ribbon was a gift, this whole project cost me all of 5$, gotta love that!!



Here are a few randoms from around the room

Gold shoes not included in the decorating.  However I may use them for decorating once she grows out of them.  I just love them so much!!

Almost done!  Last thing to showcase are these name frames a very sweet friend of mine from Maryland created.  Katie Hinsvark is a very talented gal, but when she had a small crafting bizz she said it took the fun out of crafting!  Now she does it for just friends and gifts! 
Such a shame because I think she'd kill it on Etsy's!!!

Got to get rid of those grandma curtains!!  They are in EVERY ROOM!!! One step at a time, is what I keep telling myself ;)

Alrighty, that's it! That's McKinley's room for now!  I love it, and want to live in there myself.  Soon she will get a big girl bed, and maybe when that happens I'll add to this post on the bedding I choose!?!

2 comments:

  1. Hey you! I posted the paragraph below onto a post of Katie's that you also commented on... I'm pretty sure you will get a notification since you also commented on it but just in case I thought I would add it to your wall as well! PLUS, i wanted to comment on this post because HELLO, it's amazing!! It's totally resembling that same artsy, super creative feel that many of those others blogs we've been eyeing have ;) props gf! haha keep up the good work! xox p.s. YAY i'm officially a follower!

    ----

    KATIE & NICOLE! :) my loves!! I was going to email you guys back now that I'm home from the beach but I remembered how fun it was getting comments during my short Euro-blog life so I decided to write you two on here haha Anyways, this specific post is to say THANK YOU both for using your exceptional skills and talents to creatively share your lives through pictures, videos, and extremely well-written posts... I have gotten chills, if not teary-eyed, from both of you multiple times! Seriously, the family and I both agree you guys could be paid for this! And after all the blogs I've seen with sponsorships and followings- that might not be a too far-fetched thought! (hey, ya never know! ;) But seriously, I'm really thankful you guys take the time to do this. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about Franks North&South, especially your little ones who seem to be growing so much everyday! You both feel like sisters to me (which you already know) so having these blogs helps me stay updated on the typical day-to-day things (pun intended Nicole ;) instead of just being filled in on the bigger things. So keep it up!! I regularly check both of your blogs and I wouldn't be surprised if I end up a blogger myself someday (most likely after college). You two are AMAZING! ...and my brothers are pretty great too ;) praise the Lord for their impeccable taste! Give both your PRECIOUS families a hug for me and know I'm thinking about you all! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love Mc's room! Can't wait to see it in person. :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers