Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Lunchables

I am funny about my food.  I am particular on what I feed my family, and what I put into my body.

A few funnies - I don't buy anything with high fructose corn syrup.  I also do not buy anything with MSG. I like to know where my food comes from, particularly meat.  I also am a label reader.  If I don't know what it is in the ingredients list I probably will not buy it.

Now I am not absolute when it comes to these said funny things, for example, when I go to someone's house who is serving me dinner never will I ever turn down the food.  To me building relationships is way more important then food will EVER be. So I would not want to offend my host. Moreover, if someone happens to leave a soda in my fridge (thank-you Amy Franks) I will most likely drink it ;)  And if there is a chance to try a turkey leg at our local amusement park I will most likely eat it! AND ALL MY standards go out the window for any delicious looking dessert!! Ha!

All this to say that even tho I do not purchase packaged meals, it doesn't mean we can't have fun with our food.  Here is a lunch I served the other day,  our version of our homemade Lunchables. Because the Oscar Meyer ones are terrible for you, see why here!!


adult version
I would also like to mention I grew up eating the worst food possible, fried EVERYTHING, and canned vegetables.  And if it wasn't fried it came from a box or bag: hamburger helper, Doritos, and stove top stuffing!  As I grew and was educated through my husband's family (baking their own bread for a lifetime) and also through health classes, and just by reading on my own I began to make changes.

Have I mentioned I love Trader Joe's??  I do 80% of my shopping there & the other 20% at Costco. If you have a TJ's near you and never have been, go! I trust most everything in that store bc I can actually read and understand the labels!!

So all in all, don't make things out of boxes they are loaded with MSG.  Make sure you can read ALL the ingredients and you know what they mean.  The closer it comes from God's creation the best it is for you!!  OK, stepping off my soap box now!

1 comment:

  1. Three things.
    1. Love me some TJ's. The best, best, best.
    2. MSG, what is that? People are still making food with that crap?
    3. For lunch today, I made myself and Tues crackers, olives, turkey, and grapes. Total lunchables-inspired!

    ReplyDelete

Followers